Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Little Nephew

As you know, my host nephew and I are buds.

Today, while my host mom was on the phone, I went to watch the last part of Toy Story with him, but he decided that playing cars (with a boat and a truck) would be more fun. So we played for half an hour, and then I left to go read.

Well, this wasn't his plan, so he followed me and brought me the boat so that we could keep playing, pretending that my blue comforter was the water for the boat. We drew in my notebook, trying to work on counting the cars ("uno, dos, tres, cinco" = "1, 2, 3, 5") and writing his name. Eventually he had to leave to get his diaper changed (which he protested, but it was necessary).

When he returned, he placed my notebook and pen on my bed, and then crawled into my lap. At this point, my mom Skyped me, so I turned on the video call. Adrian immediately looked at her, and then looked at the little corner photo of us, and announced, "Mognan, Adrian" while pointing at us. It's great.

My Spanish conversation professor says that the two most difficult things to do are to watch a movie in a foreign language and to speak with a young child in a foreign language. Personally, I enjoy speaking with Adrian because we can just name things or announce that they fell (which happens quite often).

My host mom insists that he doesn't get along well with people, but he spent the weekend playing with me and then sat in my lap in the taxi. When I wiped his boogers, my host mom announced that they were training me for my own babies (don't worry, I'm not accepting further training lessons).

Here are a couple photos from the Skype session with my mom and of Adrian with my hiking boots, which were apparently more appealing than his slippers.
My mom meets my host mom and Adrian

When Merlin first appeared, Adrian grabbed the chameleon
to show that we had a pet too.

Having Adrian sit on my lap clearly made Merlin jealous. 

Adrian selects my hiking boots over his slippers

Adrian walks away (slowly) in the size 8.5 hiking boots 
Adrian y las botas

1 comment:

  1. If Adrian is going to disrupt your studies or deface your textbooks, you're just going to have to take away your hiking shoes as
    (his) punishment. He's lucky to have befriended you . . . and visa versa. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete