Friday, January 25, 2013

Little Victories of Week 3

Made it to toilet both times I puked
I would like to reiterate that this was not drug/alcohol induced vomiting. But I did manage to get to the porcelain both times, which is more than I can say for my experiences in Guatemala and Australia. It really is a big step forward for me.

Successful Completion of First International Relations Assignment
This is my (one of many) bragging moment: I did really well on my first IR assignment, even though I had been late and couldn't go to class on Tuesday. Instead, I spent the class time formatting the short paper, so that the professor wouldn't think I was a complete slacker. Now I at least feel a bit more confident about the class, and hopefully I can keep arriving on time like I managed to do Thursday.

Purchased IR Book for waaaaay less than budgeted
This was extremely exciting because the book was supposed to cost $170. Since there is a finite amount of money, with no added income source, for the semester, I was thrilled to learn that we could get a print of the book for $11.50. That might have been a highlight of my day, just because it means I have more funds for excursions than I had originally planned!

Got Empadronamiento
This basically means that my visa is registered, and that I won't get a $400 fine. Yayy!

Re-established my Love of Bread
Apparently, somehow my host mother had determined that I disliked bread. Today I told her about going to some of the different panaderías on my way to and from class and volunteering, and she was so surprised! She is happy to have another food that I'll eat, which means that my love of bread can continue even in the house.

Motivated to Make Plans
After my host mother developed the idea that I was a depressed, social reject without friends, she started to take it upon herself to find other international students who would accept me as a social project to go out on the town. While this has benefits, I decided it would probably be better to just get going myself and put her worrying at ease. Therefore, I'm now actively motivated to make plans, rather than waiting for something else to show up. Tomorrow I head to Otavalo for the day, on the first of  (hopefully) many weekend adventures!

1 comment:

  1. 1. Congratulations! It would have been interesting, however, to read a blog about how you managed to come up with $400 cash (quarters, nickels, and dollar coins) to pay such a fine, with all that loose money jingling in your backpack on a crowded public bus (without making eye contact) as you wound your way down the hill on the cobblestone streets to make payment. Also, is your house mother a psychologist or motivational guru? If not, she's starting to sound like a natural for such a vocation. Enjoy your weekend adventures! Happy puke-free weekend! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete