Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Things that Don't Seem like They Would Work Well on a Bus

Every weekday, I take a big bus (kind of like a modified coach bus) to school in Cumbaya, driving rather quickly in my opinion. On this bus, I generally have a seat because they aren't as busy. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I take another bus through Quito to get to my internship, which almost always requires standing, sometimes crushed against a wall of other people.

There are some things that just don't seem like they would work well on a city bus, particularly at the speeds and turns in which we are partaking, yet they occur on nearly every bus I ride.

Selling a product
This generally occurs on the green bus to Cumbaya. Since we're all seated nicely, it would seem like a decent way to keep our attention while selling some sort of product (kind of like TV infomercials, but in person). However, as you can see from the map (point A to B), this is not a straight route. It is filled with highways and sharp turns. I'm continually impressed by their balance and poise, knowing that I can barely stay in my seat.

Wearing high heels
This is far more of a problem on the Ecovia through Quito, but it still is problematic on the green bus since the bus is gunning it as soon as you are off the street. The ability of these women to balance awes me, as, once again, I can barely keep upright in my sneakers. They don't always (read: ever) look comfortable, however, but I still admire the effort.

Making out
I understand that this is a culture far more accepting of PDA (public displays of affection), but shoving your tongue into someone else's mouth while on a winding road with sudden stops just strikes me as a poor decision. I've bit my own tongue while on the bus, and I would hate to have to worry about someone else's as well.

Holding/Nursing a baby
This clearly is a necessity, but it still must be difficult. The sharp turns and crowded aisles mean that there is even more attention and poise required than usual.

Putting hand in door as it shuts to hold on
This scared me at first. Watching the door slam shut on some guy's hand. Then I realized that the doors don't really seal shut, so it actually serves as another pole or point of contact when there are no other options. Granted, I'm still not trying it, but now I don't feel as bad when I take a spot away from the door.

Putting on make-up
My mother always taught me not to put on make-up in the car. When I drive people, I'm scared if they're applying make-up. Now I'm just happy I'm not the driver. With the number of women curling eyelashes, applying mascara, putting on eyeliner, and filling in eyebrows on the buses, I'm surprised I haven't seen more make-up mishaps or eye injuries.

Clearly, I am just not up to speed with how to utilize my time on the bus. I probably won't make this a priority, but it's still impressive to me.

1 comment:

  1. Being observant on a bus in a foreign country seems like a very good use of time. I like your observations and well-reasoned analysis. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete