Friday, January 18, 2013

The Little Victories of Week 2


Officially started (and loved) internship
I have completed my first week at CENIT. We are still working on the fundraising campaign (feel free to donate here), and I’m also working on developing the case statement for the organization and for the programs. Hopefully we’re able to get things moving on the financial front to work on the internal needs of the organization.

Got through mini-breakdown successfully
Almost every trip or major move, I have a breakdown a couple days before leaving and another about a week and a half into the adventure (save for Kansas; that one went smoothly). It’s a collection of nerves, culture shock, frustration, and exhaustion, but it usually passes quickly. This time all it took was a talk with some sweet friends and a good night’s rest for me to feel better once more.

Started to meet people
This one is still in progress, but I am getting better at reaching out to people, especially now that I have the internship companions. Unless I’m living with people or being forced to spend inordinate amount of time with them in collaboration with a mutual energy focal point (i.e. middle schoolers), I don’t make friends easily. I’m working on it, but I feel good so far.

Started visa registration process
My schedule didn’t exactly figure out a way to incorporate the time consuming process of registering my visa, but I made it to the Extranjería this week, and I’ll be able to pick up my Empadronamiento next week so that I can avoid a $200 fine.

Completed (Semi-) Successful Presentation in Spanish Conversation Class
I gave my first presentation to my Español para extranjeros class (basically the ESL equivalent). It seemed to go pretty well, as far as I could tell, even though I managed to incorrectly define and/or misspell a few of the words from the vocabulary sheet I had to prepare for the class. Oh well, baby steps!

Signed up for trip to Tiputini Biodiversity Station for birthday weekend
Some people want to go bar-hopping for their 21st birthday, some want to jump on a plane to Vegas, and other want to just party. As for my 21st birthday, the first weekend of March, I’ll be spending it at the Tiputini Biodiversity Station in the Ecuadorian Amazons in the eastern part of the country! It takes 6 hours to travel there from USFQ, but the collection of wildlife and opportunities to see so many new things is completely worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a much better way to celebrate a birthday than those other options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read your Week Three blog about milking poisonous snakes, zip lining, bungee jumping . . .

    Are there supermarkets, malls, North American chain stores and restaurants, etc. in Quito? Are credit cards widely accepted, or is it pretty much cash only? Are there plenty of working ATMs in the city? Do the locals express much curiosity about what a tall blonde girl is doing in their city?

    Love you! Love reading your blogs!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete