Friday, January 11, 2013

The Little Victories of Week 1

Answering the telephone in Spanish and having a brief conversation
It was just a brief conversation, but I successfully answered the home phone while alone and relayed the message that my host-mama was already at work. Now I just have to prepare myself for detailed conversations on the cell phone, That is, if I ever figure out my phone number to give people.

Taking correct bus to and from USFQ alone
The is one bus that I'm not supposed to take because it goes the wrong way. So Far, I've managed to take the correct bus to and from university, not getting myself lost in the city.
*Bonus: Not getting robbed in first week
I'm going to try to keep this trend going. I like not having my stuff taken from me. As we all know, I don't share well. Then again, I also dislike conflict, so I'd probably just hand my stuff over.

Waking up before 9am
This doesn't seem like a major feat, but for someone who has only ever had gym classes before 9am, it's tough. I'm not a morning person, but I'm adapting. I'm able to get ready quickly, and the chilly morning air keeps me moving.

Knowing where my classes are located
With buildings names things like Einstein, Galileo, da Vinci and Newton, all connected by various hallways and terraces, some only being differentiated as different wings of the same building, it feels good to have a general sense of where I am or where I am supposed to be. I still get lost, but at least the different entrances and exits of the buildings allows me to inconspicuously sneak back to where I am supposed to be.

Wearing pants multiple times before washing them because I didn't spill food and/or fall in mud
This is really key. I cannot adequately express how proud I am of this so far, with a limited supply of pants available in my closet. I tend to spill or trip, making it necessary to wash the pants before further use to remain socially appropriate. So far, it's been great to still have the pants look decent at the end of the day.

Making friends with my host nephew
The year and a half old son of my host sister generally dislikes everyone. He barely tolerates the attention from his cousins. That being said, he and I are pretty much best buds. He learned my name in less than a day (a name that isn't exactly popular in Spanish speaking countries), and he talks with me all the time. The most important words and phrases in his life include "carro," "pollo," "se cayó," and "zapatos," meaning car, chicken, it fell, and shoes respectively. Together we read Toy Story books and discuss the movie Cars.
Further bragging moment: He refused to smile for photo with his cousin yesterday, but immediately smiled when I took our picture.
Adrián and me

1 comment:

  1. I like the robbery-free trend. Keep it up! Great picture of you and Adrian.

    ReplyDelete