Thursday, January 3, 2013

Why Ecuador?

Several people have asked me why I have chosen to spend a semester in Ecuador, rather than Spain or another Spanish-speaking country. As for not choosing another Central or South American country, my university only offers study abroad semesters in Spain and Ecuador for Spanish students, and this was the most convenient was to get my scholarship to transfer and to make the process (a bit) easier.

Because I love travelling, I've always wanted to spend a semester abroad. Originally, when I was still an international business major, I planned on studying in Sevilla, Spain. However, I realized that I wanted more language immersion than that for which the Spain program was set up (and to be honest, if I were to study in Spain, I would have a hard time actually going to class with so many other places so close). Once I switched to Nonprofit Leadership and Management (NPL), I decided that I would rather go to Ecuador for language immersion and for the opportunity to experience a non-European culture, with distinct needs.

While in Quito, I'll also have the chance to complete my NPL internship at a nonprofit organization in the south part of the city. This will combine the two paths that I've chosen to pursue as I make my way through college. While spending time at the NPO and taking classes at USFQ, I will have the opportunity to improve my Spanish and to attain knowledge from a non-US perspective, also drawing from experiences with my host-mother and -sister and my EcuaBuddies.

I won't know anybody in Ecuador when I arrive, and it will be a completely new experience. Although I have moments of apprehension about this, I also know that I've been through similar situations with new people in new places (including in Guatemala and in Kansas this past summer). I know I'll have to make more of an effort to meet people and to branch out, but what better way is there to start a new adventure?

1 comment:

  1. By my calculation, you should have just landed in Quito . . . and yet I see no new blog entry. What's up with that?! Please be more timely in the future. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete